Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Raw food diet?

I love Sushi, especially when you get to eat at authentic Japanese restaurants where they serve fresh fish with the perfect wasabi and soy sauce. I know, however, that many of my friends are afraid of raw fish.

Recently, it has been getting popular about a diet, namely the "raw food diet". When I first heard the name, I thought someone is going to eat all food, including meats, in the very "raw" fashion. (Or someone is going to eat sushi for every meal, which I don't think it's too bad:)) I was, partially, wrong.

According to Sacramento Living, "A raw-food diet may include animal meat or may be further limited to a raw vegan diet. The latter consists of only raw fruits and vegetables, and no meat or other animal products." Also, "Those who adhere to a raw-food diet get at least 75 percent of their meals from uncooked food or food that has not been heated above 115 degrees."

Possible benefits of the raw-food diet include:
i) Lower LDL
ii) Lower triglyceride levels
iii) Lose weight (dramatically?)
iv) May work for your pets too!
v) Trendy? (Yes, some said Demi Moore and Sting are also friends of the diet?)

Possible downsides:
i) Become deficient in vitamins B12, D, iron, zinc, protein, calcium
ii) Decrease bone mass
iii) Sudden drop in caloric intake
iv) Decrease interest in food! (Big problem!)

I read so much about the diet and so many people claiming to lose tons of weight because of it. I am sure it works perfectly for some people. However, to eat only a certain food group and to eat the food in certain ways do not sound very appealing to me!

I guess I would rather enjoy all the food being offered and go exercising a bit more diligently!

Reference:
http://www.sacbee.com/107/story/1302313.html