Saturday, September 6, 2008

Soy Milk?

I used to drink a lot of soy milk. I mean...a lot. It is like couple glasses of soy milk a day.

It is one of the favorite drinks when I was living in Hong Kong. We would have it for breakfast, complement with sticky rice or some dim sum.

I have not been drinking much since moving to Houston. Not that I don't like soy milk any more. It is only that I can not really find some decent soy milk. Well, to clarify one thing, I drink the sweet soy milk, not the blend soy milk that most places offer.

So, what is soy milk? I bet not many people have really tried it before.

According to Wikipedia, soy milk is "Soy milk (also called soya milk, soybean milk, or soy juice) and sometimes referred to as soy drink/beverage is a beverage made from soy beans. A stable emulsion of oil, water and protein, it is produced by soaking dry soybeans, and grinding them with water. Soy milk contains about the same proportion of protein as cow's milk~ around 3.5%; also 2% fat, 2.9% carbonhydrate and 0.5% ash. Soy milk can be made at home with traditional kitchen tools or with a soy milk machine."

Why is soy milk good for you?

Simple. It is good to our health in various great aspects:
1) A great source of Vitamin E
2) Good source in lecithin
3) An alternative to cow milk
4) An alternative to those that are lacotse intolerance
5) Contains isoflavones, plant chemicals that can help lower your bad cholestrol
6) Can help some to reduce heart disease risk

There can be plenty of articles to refute the benefits of soy milk. But I honestly believe it is a mile (that derives from plant- soy beans) that is absolutely good for everyone!